- Primary Investigator:
- Primary Location:
University of California, San Diego, Division of Family Medicine
- Grant Type & Year:
Specific aim 1: To leverage existing staff resources to increase the Informed Medical Decisions Foundation diabetes video distribution.
Specific aim 2: To increase video viewing rates by patients.
Specific aim 3: To assess physician & patient behavior subsequent to video viewing.
- Coaches remarked that they were better informed regarding the care of patients with diabetes, for which they previously had little medical knowledge.
- Patients reported appreciating phone calls.
- Including mental health practitioners in population management of chronic disease states can help increase the initial steps of patient activation.
- The skills of therapists improve upon traditional clinic attempts of chronic disease management.
- Population-based approach proactive.
- Integrated outreach coaching is a collaborative process as opposed to a carve-out coaching service.
- To work collaboratively with coaches, physicians MUST be open to working with a coach and be receptive to patient response to coaching.
- Next steps include determing how to assess the increase of actual shared decision making behavior on the part of physicians and patients during encounters subsequent to viewing the video.
- Next step is to see if greater viewing of the video occurs by linking the video server to MyChart messages.
- Idea for future investigation is to see if the time period in which coaches can team with physicians leads to greater activation and follow-up of diabetic patients